More birds lately. Flocks of different species are migrating through on their way south. The remaining heads of elderberry have been picked clean. There are empty stems hanging down on the chokecherry and black cherry trees. Crabapples are still on the trees. It will take a few freeze/thaw cycles before they fall. The turkey and ruffed grouse will feast on them later in the year. I noticed a pileated woodpecker on one of the stockade poles. Woodpeckers don't migrate but he'll be a regular guest as long as there are grapes on the vines. The finches are eating thistle seeds right off the stem. Flickers are marching though my lawn looking for insects. Should be a bonanza for them this time of year. There are flocks of yellow-tailed warblers too. Not sure what they eat but they like to sit on the outside furniture and poop. Too each his own, I guess.
Wednesday, September 23, 2026
Thistle Seeds
My alarm went off this morning. The sheets were warm and I thought I'd stay in bed a little longer. Nope. Whip, who had jumped off the bed when the alarm went off, jumped back up, stepping on me, and licking my face enthusiastically. She waited until I'd flung the covers off and swung my legs over the side of the bed before trotting off to the front door to wait for me to join her on the morning constitutional. I wasn't in a hurry to get dressed. Blitzen, who had been by my side when I fell asleep last night, materialized from somewhere to sniff my fingers. I'm not allowed to pet her until she's smelled each finger. (Must be a cat thing.) While I dressed she ran out of the room and then back in at full speed, putting on the brakes when she hit the edge of the rug in front of the dresser. It accordioned up in front of her - the explanation of why that rug is never laying flat. We all have our morning rituals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment