Joining the existing T- Rex, Velociraptor, Troodon, Lambeosaurus, Plesiosaur, Ankylosaurus, and Stegosaurus on my shirt is a Brachiosaur. Good thing the Summer Reading Program has come to a close 'cause the t-shirt was beginning to get heavy. Around 70 kids and parents attended for free hotdogs (one boy reportedly ate 7) and root beer floats (Volunteer Tom came in later and was shaking his hand hoping to get feeling back into it after all of that scooping). After the picnic in the parking lot, the kids came in for the awarding of the grand prizes to those who read the most. Everyone who turned in a form listing the books they read in the last two months got some sort of prize. I managed in two months to read 9 books which I thought was a lot. Some mothers in my18+ age category read over 70. (They could count books they read to their children.) My prize was a $10 gift certificate at Starbucks so I was pretty happy. 85 people turned in book lists but around 100 participated is some part of the program this year. Everyone I talked to felt it was a success and we will do it again next year. If we follow the suggestion from the library consortium the theme next year will be 'Mystery'. Maybe I should pick up a deerstalker cap, a fedora, or a rumpled rain coat? Big magnifying glass? Fake knife coming out of my chest? (Probably too much for the little kids.)
I turned into my driveway late this afternoon and hit my brakes. Three sandhill cranes were strolling across the end of the drive. They didn't bother to fly, just squawked at me. Two kept on going into the field and one turned back toward my row of planted Yggdrasils. Nice to know this pair were successful in raising a colt.
No comments:
Post a Comment