Friday, October 11, 2024

Clouded Sulphur butterfly

I attended last night's Town Board Meeting because an ordinance from the Planning Committee was being presented (not to pick up gossip which is just an added plus).  Planning Committee chairman Roger would be able to answer any questions about the ordinance but I was curious what the rest of the Town Board would say.   They loved it.   After a half hour the meeting was on the last agenda item - 'Roads'.    Another excruciating 45 minutes of gravel, asphalt, 5-year plans, replacing bridges, culverts and the meeting ended.  I did listen to the discussion though.  Before breakfast this morning Whip and I went for a drive.   First to Weinert road.  The board had talked about someone who had put in their driveway incorrectly and when it rains the town road floods.   When that happens other families that live further down that dead-end road can't get out until the road is fixed.  The landowner had been warned and he did put a rise in his driveway but that had made the flooding worse.  The Board planned to have the County Road Commissioner come out w/ them to see if he had other ideas about how to fix it.   Then they would write the land owner stating he had to put in larger culverts or the town would do it and add the bill to his property taxes.  I wanted to see what they were talking about.  First I noticed where the gravel on the town road had been washed out & replaced.  Could see the rise the landowner had put in the driveway.  Even I could understand how that caused the water to run out onto the roadway.  Next Whip and I drove over to Edgewood Road.  A new house was being built out in the woods.   The Town Board was sending the landowner a letter that he had to move the 1000 lb rocks he had lined his driveway with - from the shoulder of the road to the fenceline.   Odd, I thought, that anyone would put boulders along the edge of a  driveway - though it is the right of anyone to scratch up their own car I guess.   A Town Road easement extends 33 feet from the center of the road.  Within that easement these boulders would catch the blade of the town's grader, snowplow, and brusher.  Once again, even I knew placing boulders this close to the road was a stupid idea.   Feeling pretty intelligent all of the sudden,  I and the dog drove to McD's for breakfast.   I ordered a latte and got a sausage biscuit for Whip.  (Even I know enough not to eat one of  those.)

No comments: