Thursday, July 18, 2024

Wild Bergamot

 Summer Reading Program at the library - Adventure with Horses.  A family that frequents the library also shows their Arabian horses at different Northwoods fairs.  Plan was for most of the activity to be in the green space just beyond the library's parking lot.  Fortunately, today was a perfect day - not too hot, clear skies, just a little breeze.  My shift begins two hours before the start of the Reading Program so I had time to bring the library stats up to date and to put out a list of new books for the month of July.   Still quiet when Volunteer Tom came in to help w/ activities so we talked about the Republican Convention.  Tom said I should look up J.D. Vance's 'Hillbilly Elegy' and see if there were any copies in the library system.  I was amazed.  There were copies in almost every library in our network plus 128 holds for a book that came out in 2016.  Tom laughed, "I bet there were no holds last week."  Children began to arrive so Tom and I became busy.  At 6, everyone settled down to listen to the owner of the horses read a book about a girl who wished she had a horse.  Afterward, while she still had their attention the owner explained how to approach a horse and how to act around them.  Forty-one excited kids went outside to pet the horses.   Treats for tonight were also the kind of treat a horse would enjoy - apple slices, carrots, grapes, etc.  and water to drink.  I'm very glad the little ones are reading books but must admit I'm also glad that there is only one more week of this to go.

No comments: