Friday, June 28, 2024

Woodland stream

Summer Reading Program again tonight at the library.  The theme was 'Adventures in Nature' and the big draw was a personal appearance by Smokey Bear.  I happen to have a green t-shirt w/ a pic of Smokey and his motto printed on the front so I wore it tonight.  Smokey and the local DNR guy made an entrance together (Smokey needed some help making it through the door w/ his big head and seeing where he was going).  The DNR guy's jacket was emblazoned w/  'Smokey Bear's Friend'.  The kids ate it up.  They have never been this well-behaved the other weeks of the program.   I was busy checking in the piles of books they dropped off but could hear the DNR guy (Smoky doesn't talk) tell the story of Smoky and then about how to prevent forest fires.   At the end he answered questions like "what was the biggest fire here" and "why aren't there people in the fire towers" and he listened to a few stories where a child saw an actual bear.   (I'm not the only one).   Once that was finished they all trooped outside to do more activities set up by the librarian plus have tonight's treat of Volunteer Tom's ice cream cones.  As I was finishing up shelving books  I realized absolutely no one had mentioned my themed t-shirt. Thought one of the kids would have said something.  The librarian, aides, and the DNR guy came back inside after the kids had left.  (Smokey was already waiting in the car.)  The DNR guy sees me, grins, and says he likes my t-shirt.  Guess if someone was going to notice my chest, the DNR guy isn't such a bad choice.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Read your blog to Evelyn. She thought it was pretty funny, especially last part.