Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Mystery Tree

This time of year I like to stand at the edge of the ridge  and look out over the top of the swamp.  I'm watching first for the scarlet bloom of red maples.   That's followed quickly by white and pink pointillism created by wild plum, cherry, and crabapples.  Eventually every shade of green appears as spring settles onto the swamp.  Yesterday I saw this single neon-green tree standing out in the middle of it's still mostly grey-brown companions.  Walking out to it was not an option - wasn't wearing my hiking boots and I didn't know how far away it really was.  Spent the rest of the walk mentally going through the different trees growing in the swamp that I knew.  Too tall for a tag alder.  Could be an ash but when I've walked out there the ash are usually growing in large colonys.  Not a basswood, aspen, or tamarack - I've got individual trees of those kind nearby and they aren't this color.  Not white birch but maybe yellow birch?  Maybe one of the oak family?  When I got home I tried googling specific species and then did a more generic search - nothing.   I'd figure it out - just might take time.   This morning on the constitutional I looked across the road at my neighbor's forests.  The sun was out and shining on a lot of neon-green trees.  Well, that was the answer then - those woods are full of sugar maple.   Probably different trees of the same species 'come out' earlier than others.  I've even got sugar maple in the old woods near me though it's difficult to see them now that the birch and red maple have grown up in front of them.  Googled 'identifying sugar maple' when I got home and found a couple of sites stating that bright stand-out green color is an easy way to locate these trees in spring.  So much easier to find stuff on the Internet if you already know what you are looking for.

No comments: