Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Emerging Leaves

I have a first aid kit for the house but thought I should have one in Mjolnir.  The workshop is full of every sort of sharp instrument made.   I looked on-line but couldn't find a first aid kit specifically for woodworkers.  Last year I asked my brothers what they need for first aid and they replied 'bandaids'.  I got a big box of assorted bandaids.  I found a small clear plastic box w/ a lid.  Plastered "First Aid" on each side of it and put the box of bandaids inside.  I like to clean a wound first before putting on a band aid - added a bottle of hydrogren peroxide.  Normally would have picked alcohol but hydrogen peroxide is one of the crucial ingredients in an effective skunk-smell-elimination formula so having an extra bottle around might prove useful.  Put some Q-Tips in a plastic bag (easier to use that way and the whole box isn't contaminated).  Figured one of the most common problems for wood workers would be splinters - threw in tweezers.   Added wet wipes, thin latex gloves, a small scissor, tape, and a plastic sheet that can be spread out to create a clean 'operating' surface.   Then considered the phrase "aches and pains".  Had nothing for 'aches'.   I placed in a large IcyHot patch, a cold pack, and a bottle of Ibuprofen.  Ibuprofen is a fav of my friends to relieve pain and reduce swelling.  It has absolutely no effect on me.   I added a bottle of my go-to pain reliever Extra Strength Excedrin.  For good measure I threw in a small amount of anti-itch cream.  That should handle any little accidents that might occur - anything more major and it's 911.

2 comments:

Flip said...

That sounds perfect. Not sure about the rubber gloves, but sure we could find a use for them such as staining.

Anonymous said...

One necessary item in our First Aid kit at the airport was 'Chapstick' for paper cuts. The wax immediately stops the bleeding and the sting. Do they work with a lot of paper in the shop as well as wood?
Rebecca