Friday, December 30, 2022

Snowdrift

The snowdrift in front of the windows has put the kibosh on watching the birds at the feeders - at least for awhile.  There is a new library display planned for January.  I went down to the library and cleaned out the ornaments I'd hung in the cabinets for Christmas.   It was a slow day at the library so while I disassembled the displays, the librarian asked me what traditions I had for New Years.  I explained that I'd make my sister's recipe for New Year's Fried Rice.  It works best if after the rice is cooked it's allowed to cool.  So I make the rice on New Year's Eve (in the old year) and fry it up w/ eggs, vegetables, bacon, almonds, and soy sauce on New Year's Day (in the new year).  Then, of course, I watch the movie Flower Drum Song.  (Yes, I'm aware that Chinese New Year isn't the same day as the Gregorian Calendar 's New Year but the idea is the same.)  After I left the library, I picked up a couple of frozen pizzas.  Another tradition is a New Year's Eve pizza.  Well ... actually it isn't but I'll accept any excuse to have pizza.
 

No comments: