Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Moving Hay Bales

 

You know that idiom 'the elephant in the room'?  I'm living with it's embodiment right now.  The refrigerator stopped working.   At 18 years of age it probably isn't worth fixing.  I had given it a second chance after it did something like this earlier and again when it had a different issue this summer that Brother Brent fixed.   So, for a while, water and soft drinks are outside on the bench glider by the back door and food is in Mjolnir's mini-fridge. I went looking for a new fridge and found one I liked quickly.   To get the color I prefer, however, it won't be delivered until early November.   I'd written down maximum dimensions and the salesman assured me the fridge I'd picked out would fit within that space but, just in case, I'd had him write down some contingency actions their company agreed to do.  Got a call the next day from his manager.  He'd seen the notes on the contract and asked, for his peace of mind, to double check the measurements.  While he was on the phone, I pulled the old refrigerator out into the middle of the kitchen and stepped into the opening left.  I read off tape measurements from counter top to pantry, floor to bottom of overhead cabinets while he was on the phone.  He was very satisfied and verified that the new fridge would arrive early November before discontinuing the call.  It didn't seem productive to move the fridge back into it's spot but it has proven unproductive to be constantly walking around it (especially when experiencing vertigo).  Hence it's 'the elephant in the room'.  Tomorrow I'll remove the dog gate and push it out of the kitchen, through the foyer, and into the garage where it will become the 'elephant in the garage'.

No comments: