Thursday, October 27, 2022

Cotton grass in the Tamarack Swamp

I've put together three days in a row of not tipping over when I got out of bed so I'm pronouncing my spat w/ vertigo over.  Will wait until next week before looking for overhead constellations though.  At the beginning of October I was into all things Halloween.  Must have forgotten about it somewhere in the middle of the month and now I realize I've got less than a week to go before it's here.  Instead of reading Macbeth or The Raven this year, think I'll reread the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  That's a pretty creepy poem and I love it's theme of 'Don't mess w/ Mother Nature'.    I've also got a DVD of Elvira: Mistress of the Dark movie.  It's more campy than scary so should be a fun watch.  Checked my Halloween candle - yep, that should get me through the 'holiday' too.  When I was a kid, I sent a list of U.S. holidays to my Japanese pen pal.  She responded by asking what 'Halloween' was.  That's when I realized that Halloween isn't a recognized holiday by the U.S. government.  Probably aren't enough witches, hobgoblins, vampires, and zombies advocating for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not a 'thing' in Ukraine either. But our Ukrainian guests are learning very quickly how much of a 'thing' it is in the Unites States. They are quite amused by all the celebratory stuff we do for this holiday.....decorating, carving pumpkins, eating caramel apples, parties, trick or treating, corn mazes and haunted houses, etc.
It's been fun seeing Halloween through their eyes. :-)
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the vertigo bouts! I'd be nerve wracked. Hope you can check out the stars again soon. -Olivia