Saturday, October 29, 2022

Blackberry and Goldenrod in Autumn

I don't get The Three Stooges.  Abbott and Costello had some good bits but usually I find them their movies too juvenile.  Same w/ Jerry Lewis.  This fall, right after my fav Midsomer Murders, PBS added a new half hour show called The Goes Wrong Show.  Since it's from BBC One, the U.S. is getting it a year or so later.  I hadn't heard of it however and it's a blast.  The premise is a fictional comedy club has the opportunity to do a play in front of a live audience.  Then, as the name indicates, everything goes wrong w/ props, stages, actor's lines, personnel, accidents, cues, etc.  The plucky players take 'the show must go on' seriously.  It's all slapstick and perfectly dreadfully terrible.  I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.  What's the difference between the Three Stooges and this show?  Thinking back though I did like Monte Python's Flying Circus a lot.  Got it ... slapstick requires an English accent to be funny.

No comments: