Monday, September 19, 2022

Inchworm and Bumblebee on Sneezeweed

The flowers that were in pots around the deck are now staged just outside of Mjolnir.  It's only a little way from there to Sleipnir where they will overwinter.  Since I've got them all together, I've been writing their colors on sticks and inserting it in each pot.  I'll be repotting some and they may not put on any flowers during the winter when it's cooler and darker.  Was surprised at how difficult a task it was.  Well ... not really difficult but harder than one might anticipate.  Friend Nancy had asked why I didn't use the names on the little plastic markers that are inserted in the flowers when we bought them from the greenhouse.  I do save them and insert them in the back of the pot but they only last a year before they become brittle and snap into little pieces.  Plus as plants move from pot to pot, they often get lost.  So I placed pots next to each other to figure out which colors were the same.  I kept the names short and didn't go for lyrical names like 'Crimson Flame' or 'Velveteen Rose'.  I marked reds, dark reds, rose, purple, and oranges.  Some were uniquely colored - red w/ white edges, cherry.  Then there were the pinks.  I saved those for last.  The pinks had slight variations - antique pink, light pink, pink, dark pink, hot pink, salmon.  The antique pink and light pink are actually the same color but the antique one is a double flower that don't last as long as the light pink ones do.  I added a note on the stick also if the leaves were green, green w/ a dark band, or chocolate (all dark green).   That should be enough for me to figure out which flowers might look good potted together.  Kind of a weird exercise to go through but next year should go better.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Like the picture of the bee and worm. Was wondering if you could mark each flower pot with a different letter and take a picture of it for reference to color of the plant.