Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Fritillary


Getting more Fall cleanup items off my list.  Got out the short and the long crowbars and using them in unison wedged the concrete top off the furthest sewer hole.  That's where the sewer filter is housed.  There is a pump there that sends the water that spills over from the other two sewer settling tanks, through the filter, and out to the mound where it can be filtered through sand, soil, sediment, and rock.   I clean the filter off  biannually ever since it clogged up the year it was installed.  Pretty pristine (as sewer filters go) this time but I took a hose  to it anyway.  Put it back in place, screwed on the filter top, and wrestled the concrete slab back in place.  Should be good to go (so to speak) til spring.  Plus I can also detach the hose and put that away before it gets cold.  Put all of the outdoor end tables in Sleipnir.  End to end they make a row just in front of the windows.  Behind them are the two tiered plant stands that my brothers made this summer.  I've already covered them w/ plastic strips that are taped in place and then two more layers of plastic tarp on top of them.  Won't necessarily keep all of the moisture away from the wood tops but should be enough to keep it reasonably dry as I water the plants this winter.  Picked up the gnome on the deck that tends the plants during the summer and the dancing rabbit plaque from the electrical backboard to store away in Sleipnir too.  My experiments from when I first moved here showed that sealed plaster can handle a number of subzero winters w/o showing any peeling or fractures.  However might as well not tempt the elements.  Removed the tomato cages and row markers from the garden.  Then bopped over to the County Clerk's office.  Fall also means November elections are coming up.  In my state the town clerk needs to have sent out absentee ballots by September 22nd.  I left the material on the clerk's desk at the town hall.  Reminded me that my brother was requesting an absentee ballot for the first time in Arizona so texted to see if he'd talked to his county clerk.  "Yes", he texted back but in Arizona the clerk doesn't send them out until October 12th.   Each state has some variation in election rules.

No comments: