Monday, May 02, 2022

Yellow-rumped Warbler

It's May.  I don't care if nights are still in the 40's (dipping into 30's) and days aren't much above the 50's.  The anorak has to go back into the closet.  While I was at it I washed my puffy vest, gloves, scarfs, and knit hats and tucked them back into the deacon's bench.   Even Whip's jackets have been put away.   The rain the last couple of days is coaxing the last of the frost out of the ground.  I tried to undo the latch on the stockade gate but the heavy and large pole the chain is connected to had heaved enough out of the ground to take up the slack and it was difficult to get it open.  On the walk I could hear a high-octave discussion going on at the gorge.  The yellow-rumped warblers are back!  Some will stick around.  Some will continue on up to Canada.  Those sticking around seemed to already be in territory skirmishes.  It's nice to see signs of spring in the snow melting and ground unfreezing.  Even better when spring progresses to the return of warblers.

No comments: