Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Dunder watching for birds

 

Dad talked about seeing a UFO.   He didn't mean he'd seen a flying saucer or little green men.  He just said it happened after dark and he was looking up the hill.  Across the top of the hill a red light appeared no more than 10 feet off the ground and went straight across the top of the hill toward the neighbors.  He didn't have to explain further.  I knew there was nothing that could walk/drive a straight line across a field, barbed wire fence, deep ditch, another deep ditch, and another barbed wire fence.  Remembered that story today.  Whip and I had stopped on our morning constitutional like we usually do just taking in the pre-dawn morning. It was still an hour before sunrise when I saw a bright light falling in the sky over my neighbor's field.  First thought was fireworks.  Then  I  heard a faint pop, something flew off the falling bright light, and then both were gone.  Why would anyone be shooting off fireworks over a field at 6:30 on a frigid morning?  What else could it be? Maybe a flare?  Someone was trapped and knew the dog and I came out at this hour and were shooting off a flare as their last hope for help?  (Yes, I really do have to stop reading all those spy novels.)  Doubtful.  Maybe it wasn't as close as I thought.  Could be a meteor burning up in the atmosphere.  Bigger than any shooting star I'd ever seen.  Suppose it could be space junk hitting the atmosphere.   Fireworks - Flare - Meteor - 'Sputnik' - whatever:  I have my own UFO (Unidentified Falling Object) story now.

No comments: