Sunday, October 04, 2020

Photo Contest


The photo contest theme for last month was Nobel Gases.  They are all odorless, colorless, and, because they have a full valence shell, inert (mostly).  Made for an interesting challenge.  For Helium I took a picture of one of the balloons I buy for cat toys.  Neon is in those advertising signs many businesses use at night.  Argon was the easiest - it's used to fill the void between glass panes in windows because it doesn't transfer heat/cold.  I'd read that the T9 circular florescent lights are filled w/ Krypton to inhibit filament evaporation and allow higher operating temperatures.  For the last picture I put together part of a Periodic Table jigsaw while drinking coffee from my periodic table mug.  Actually had fun w/ this topic.





No comments: