Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Red-winged Blackbird

Calm and sultry this morning.  Temps might get close to 90 here.  Quite the change from the years I would turn off the heat in the house on June 1st only because it was June and not because it was warm enough to do so.  As the sun rose it didn't mix up the atmosphere as much as thicken certain strata.  The stratification of the atmosphere can affect which channels my TV's antenna pick up.  I had lost five of my usual channels.  Decided to rescan.  That picked up 20 channels - 2 new ones but not the five I'd lost.  Moved the rabbit ears from the window to the top of the TV and rescanned.  This time I picked up 29 channels.  The old five were still missing but now I had 11 new ones.  Moved the antenna to the edge of the pew and hit rescan.  This time it picked up 39 channels - a new high - and it found the five missing original channels.  The extra channels probably won't last til noon.  Eventually the strata will thin and mix and the far-away signals won't be able to bounce off them.  I know that getting cable service would resolve this issue but, as I've said, I spend too much time in front of the TV now.  Why pay for the right to have even more channels to watch?

No comments: