Wednesday, January 15, 2020

1995 - Comic Strip Classics

Another of the 'American Classic' series was this one featuring 20 different comic strips which began between 1895 to 1945.  Comic strips are considered one of America's indigenous art forms and have impacted our culture.  From Li'l Abner we got Sadie Hawkins Day.  Popeye became a movie starring Robin Williams.  Little Orphan Annie was a long running Broadway Show (the only one I've ever seen).  Blondie gave us Dagwood sandwiches.  Rube Goldberg's Inventions spawned an MIT contest held each year.  The Dick Tracy phone wristwatch was futuristic in the 1930's but today retails around $50.   First Day of Issue was October 1, 1995 in Boca Raton, Florida.  15 million were printed. Scott # 3000

In cruise mode my car is suppose to automatically break if something is in the roadway ahead.  On the way home from library duty I saw a least weasel run in front of me.  The wind was blowing snow across the road, the weasel was in it's white coat, and I didn't immediately recognize it for what it was.  I hit the brakes and I think it made it safely across the road.  That means that even though I was going only 42 m/p/h (the max speed to successfully avoid a collision w/ a deer) and I was in cruise mode, the car couldn't detect an animal crossing the road ahead of me.  Of course, a least weasel is only eight inches long and stands but a couple of inches high.

No comments: