Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Path through the forest

My state's government is actually rather well run.  I want to assure you of that even though they do crazy things at times.  The latest is an uproar that the governor referred to the evergreen erected at the capital as 'The Holiday Tree'.  There was an uproar among some of the legislators that the governor was spouting "PC garbage" and that he was trying to take Christ out of Christmas.  That was when my mouth fell open.    Bringing an evergreen tree inside a house has nothing to do w/ the birth of Christ.  It has roots (pun intended) in the Roman festival of Saturnalia and in Northern European Druid, Celt, and Viking traditions.   A tree in the house at Christmas is like having dyed eggs at Easter - they were part of the pagan festivals that were absorbed into the Christian convention. I don't care if someone wants to call it a Holiday Tree (it will always be a Christmas Tree to me).  I'd rather they practice the spirit of the season by being more tolerant and giving.  Remember 2020 is just around the corner and it's looking like it will be a tough year.

No comments: