Saturday, October 19, 2019

Weather predictors

I love hanging my clothes out on the line to dry.  My sweatshirt smelled so good when I put it on this afternoon.  It did itch a little from time to time and finally I walked out on the deck, took off the shirt, and turned it inside out.  Assume this bristly caterpillar got inside somehow out on the line.   I'm not sure.  I let the little guy go.  He looks like a woolly bear caterpillar.  The legend is that the more black hairs the caterpillar has, the harsher the winter.  In actuality, the older the caterpillar the browner it becomes.  So if it's been a good year and the caterpillar has plenty to eat it will be browner.  In a way it is a predictor of the weather - that we've already experienced.  This one in my shirt is an ombre shading of black to brown to blond.  Might be a color variation -or maybe - it means we are going to have a cold autumn, a fair winter, and a positively wonderful spring!

No comments: