Friday, June 08, 2018

Yellow Hawkweed and Columbine

I picked up groceries today but not eggs.  The Farmer's Market started up again on Friday's and I prefer the eggs I get there.  I buy them from Maple Hill farm and the proprietor saw me coming.  "Sorry," he said, "I don't have any eggs."  I thought I was there early enough that he shouldn't be sold out already.  "We are having an eagle problem." he continued,  "They've already taken a few of the girls and the rest are too frightened to go outside.  We only get about 10 eggs a day."  (Note: He always refers to his laying hens as "the girls".)   Not a lot he can do about an eagle problem.  Eagles are protected so he can't harm them.  The chickens roam free outside so he'd have to find a place to build a screened in cage for them.  I thought about my neighbor Wester's 'cannon' that makes a loud booming noise periodically.  Figured that might scare the eagles away but the noise would probably also traumatize the rest of his livestock.  The poor girls would be positively catatonic.

No comments: