Saturday, June 09, 2018

Black Snakeroot

 It would take about twenty minutes for the pizza I ordered at Glory B's to be ready to go so said I'd be back then and went over to the library. Today is the village-wide garage sale and for the first time the library was participating.  Working at the library allows volunteers the perk of  seeing/buying books before sales therefore didn't expect to see anything else that I would want.  However, at the far end of the tables of books, sitting on the floor was a box filled w/ tomes I didn't remember seeing before.  I picked up  the first book, read the title, and gasped.  It was a collection of the  papers written by Ptolemy, Copernicus, and Kepler.  The next book was the histories written by Plutarch.  There were other books for  Newton, Huygens, Faraday, Fourier, Virgil, Aristotle, Euclid, Marcus Aurelius, Sophocles, Euripides - the box was full of them!  A sale clerk said they had come in as a donation on Friday at almost closing time - no wonder I hadn't seen them.   The sale clerks were uncertain how much to ask for my treasure trove.  Normally it was $2 per bag full of books.  Being so close to closing time everything was now half price (and  they really wanted to get rid of these bulky books).  I offered $5 and they yelled "Sold"!  Tonight I feel a little ashamed at getting such a bonanza at so cheap a price.  It's a feeling I'm sure I'll manage to get over.

No comments: