Thursday, January 18, 2018

Horses

 Horses were important on the farm 100 years ago.  The top picture is Walter Mayer (taken around 1921).  He was about to drive the team through the double doors on the barn and the hay would have been unloaded straight up into the mow above.  Below are his two brothers, Herbert and Neil, with a horse and foal in 1936.  The bottom picture is Walter Schwartz's wife, Elorne, w/ two colts on the same farm.  The back of that photo has 'July 13, 1937'.  Can't remember if the horses were Percheron or Belgian though.
 The ski hill is lit up to the max - looks like diamonds shining in the night - and I can see it right through my bedroom window.  I might leave the shades up tonight.  Temps have warmed up to above zero and there isn't much wind.  The only thing that might look at me through my bedroom window is a deer (the bear are hibernating, the rabbits aren't tall enough, and the coyotes just aren't that interested). 

No comments: