Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Fly Agaric

Late spring I told my neighbor Blake that I was glad the gravel pit on his land had stopped activity.  He grew serious and reminded me that they would be starting up again later.  I said I knew that but thought it was nice that they weren't doing anything while the rough-winged swallows and kingfishers were nesting in the pit's gravel cliffs.  The swallows and kingfishers have been gone for awhile now and I heard big machinery noises from that direction.  Decided Indy and I might just mosey around to that side of the hill so we could look over and see what was going on.  I cornered the basswood grove and there was a rather large yellow excavation machine working at the top of the ridge above Turtle Head pond.  While I stopped to watch the action, Indy poked around in the tall grass of the hay field.  W/ her graying muzzle and sometimes limp I forget that she is still a force to be reckoned w/.  She found a squirrel that put up quite the chase and battle but eventually Indy was the victor.  There was nothing I could have done to stop it and I'm pretty sure my brother Russell will be happy to have one less varmint around.  Just part of life and death in the Northwoods.

No comments: