Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sheila considers a new riding lawn mower

One of the suggestions from the techs that sat in on the milking class yesterday was to warm the pre- & post- dip cups. Their studies showed a 5.5% increase in milk production if the dip was warm. The idea is that warm dip on a cow's teat will stimulate the cow to start letting her milk down faster and warmed dip cleans better. When I heard the suggestion, I was all for it and glad the dairy owners were willing to give it a try. This morning I got a gallon bucket, filled it w/ hot water, and hung the dip cups along the edge. I have no idea if this will really cause the cows to give more milk (after all, one of these techs thought that larger milk hoses would be a good idea.) What first came to my mind was that, when we get to freezing weather, those warm dip cups will feel great in my cold hands.

No comments: