Friday, October 04, 2013

Looking into the Forest

The dairy owners are at the big Dairy Expo in Capital City. The herdsman stuck around to get us through the hospital group and then she took off for the Dairy Expo too. That left Mike in charge. Sure he's only in his 20's but unlike many of the kids I've met in that age range, he's responsible, works hard, and has earned the trust of the owners. He was kept busy today. He gave shots to some of the cows. Unlike most of our herdsmen who give shots to the cows while they are in the milking parlor, he was vaccinating them after they left the parlor. (I'm no expert but it makes more sense to do it that way.) He set up the second bulk tank for me. (The cows really like the cooler weather and are giving more milk. We need to switch mid-milking or we would overflow the first tank.) He sent Carly up to help w/ the milking when she finished cleaning the barns. Everything went smoothly. I had just finished clean up when I saw Mike had found metal polish and was rubbing it on the wash water holding tank. I asked if there was anything else I could do for him. "No," he grinned, "I'm just goofing around." I smiled to myself as I walked out - a guy that likes to polish the stainless steel. You don't often see that.

No comments: