Thursday, March 28, 2013

Black Spruce and White Poplar

 I had Wednesday night volunteer duty at the library. About 6 p.m. in came a few adults and a bunch of children. A lady from the group came up to the desk and said they were the cub scout group here for the library tour. Panic. What library tour? The lady said she had called over a week ago and set it up.  The librarian had left no note informing me.  She probably thought it was a no-brainer - the library isn't that big. Except for the problem that it was kids. The last time I interacted w/ 6 year olds was probably w/ my nieces (and these boys weren't here to hear my version of "fractured fairy tales.)" I started out w/ the tour and almost immediately I was in trouble. I was explaining how they could look up books on the computer by title or author. Blank looks. Turns out they didn't know what "author" meant. After a short explanation, I went on to tell them that the library has many forms of media. Explanation of the word "media". Made it through the rest of the tour w/ some interpretive help from the adults. Nice kids - one could have used a tissue, though.

No comments: