Saturday, October 06, 2012

A Hard Nut to Crack

Woke up to First Snowfall of the season. Just a dusting and it won't last but very pretty. Then got a text from my nephew. He wanted to let me know it was Youth Hunt and he and his boys would be out hunting deer in my woods. I don't text but managed an "OK" message back. Volunteered at the library this morning. Slow day so had plenty of time to install the October Library Display in the case. Had planned on doing haunted houses but the big house another lady had made didn't fit so she had put it on top of the display - that meant an empty shelf. I scrounged around at home and found some more Halloween items for the display. Should be fine. Once home again, Indy and I took a walk through the open fields (away from my nephew's hunting area) and saw this Downy Woodpecker trying to peck through black walnuts. He wasn't making much progress. Tonight will be the Killing Frost. It's been below freezing a couple of times already but not by very much. At a forecast 22 degrees, even the toughest plants will give it up until next spring. Think I'll make tonight the First Hot Soak in the Tub of the season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snow?!
According to the 'They', we are supposed to have a very hard winter this year that includes lots of snow. Ian is thrilled, of course.
Rebecca