Saturday, June 09, 2012

Red-Spotted Purple butterfly

The dairy owners had taken off for a week of rest and relaxation. We had the regular staff at the dairy plus two teenagers that were hired for the summer. However, somehow, people all had other things to do than milk so I was on my own a lot. We were an hour late when milking finished and I started rinsing down the parlor.   Was only about 1/2 done when I noticed that water was pooling on the grate instead of draining. Mike was on his way in from the barn so I yelled that there might be a problem w/ the sewer system and he went to check. He was back in a moment telling me to stop rinsing - the sewer system was broken. One of the teenagers usually checks on it each day - don't know if it wasn't done or if there was another issue. W/O using water not much else I could do so went to see if I could help Mike, Adam, and the herdsman while they worked on fixing the system. "This will take awhile, you can leave." the herdsman replied as he stood in the pumping pit, sewage pooling around his shins. He seemed a bit upset.  (Must admit that a smile plays on my lips whenever I recall that scene.)

No comments: