Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Xeromphalina kauffmanii fungi

Spring and late fall is the time to look for mushrooms.  They are popping up in the forest and I found this hardwood stump covered w/ what I think are kauffmanii mushrooms.  Of course, if the stump is an old conifer, then the species is campanella.  Mushrooms are a bit difficult to figure out.  Since there are many similar species it's important to know where they were found, when, and what the weather was like.  This genus of mushrooms is part of the "resurrection fungi" that can be seen best after a rainstorm.  Later they will dry out, shrivel up and go dormant until conditions are right again to "bloom".  When I have more time, think I'll get serious about learning to identify local fungi.  In the meantime, they are just fun to find.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you brave enough to learn about mushrooms to the point of picking them to eat? That would be cool.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Many years ago the neighbors (Gwen Johnson-Granger) picked mushrooms on the property right about where you live. I remember having a "mushroom" feed of some kine. At that time, I wasn't thrilled with mushrooms; now I love them.

Anita