Monday, November 08, 2010

Mossy Maple Polypore (Oxyporus populinus)

No, this stuff isn't edible. Not poisonous. It's one of the bracket type fungi that have a tough, woody, consistency.

Mike and I scrubbed the parlor which means I go home later than usual. After 6 hours of work - not eating or drinking - I'm famished and usually stop off at McD's for a burger (I use the drive-up widow, obviously). Even so, I couldn't do it today. Friday, Eric said that fast-food chains like Culvers get their hamburger from beef cows but McD's gets theirs from old dairy cows. Whether it was the thought of tough meat (probably softened up by chemicals) or the whole idea that I might be eating a cow I'd milked: I went home and had cheese, crackers, and a nice salad instead.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Good, choice. Just finished watching "Food, Inc." Don't watch it if you like to eat at fast food places.

Anonymous said...

Probably fewer calories, too.

Rebecca