Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Partridge Berry

Indonesian Information Minister Sembiring shook Mrs. Obama's hand. He's been apologizing for it ever since. Seems a pious Muslim man should not touch a woman who is not closely related to him. Same rule applies in Judaism. I tried to find out the religious reasoning. One website (and something I was also told when traveling in a Muslim country) was that in touching a woman she could be too much of a temptation to a man to seduce/rape her. OK ... personally I think it would be more reasonable to expect men to use a bit more self-control rather than put the onus on women. As I read on, though, it is allowed to shake hands w/ older women since there is no fear of a man desiring them. Great... I feel so much better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have expected a "fist-bump" or at least a "High-Five".

DB

Anonymous said...

As you can tell, those religious 'rules' were completely thought up by men. That way, if a man does seduce/rape a woman, it's her fault. Not his. Nice religion, eh?

Rebecca