Sunday, September 20, 2026

Winterberry

 

I'm all atwitter.  Saturday is my usual day to wash the bed linen and, since we are in for cooler weather for awhile, decided to switch out the bedding for the winter flannels and, deliciously, the electric blanket.  Will relish tonight getting in between already warm sheets.  

That meant I needed to get the winter sheets and electric blanket out of the chest at the foot of the bed.  It's the same chest my great grandparents used to carry their belongings when they immigrated from Germany.  It's also the same one that Brothers Brent and Phil fixed this summer.  The chest had a crack across the top where two boards came together.  The only thing I asked was that the chest be as air tight as it used to be.  I had always wondered how, in fluctuating humidity, the top fit so well that when I opened it I could smell the sandalwood I'd put in there years ago.  When I opened it up to retrieve the sheets today I could still smell it faintly.  Impressive that the smell still can linger after I had everything out of it and the guys had the chest open while they worked on it.  Must remember to pick up more sandalwood scent.

No comments: