Thursday, August 06, 2026
Why it's called Bird's Foot Trefoil
Since I was going to the County Seat to get groceries, I stopped off at the County Clerks office to pick up the second set of tally sheets that Chief Inspector Andy and I had noticed were missing when we did the Public Test of the Voting Machine on Saturday. I was greeted by one of the Clerk's new aides. I explained I was from the Town of Atlanta and we didn't get a second copy of the tally sheets in the paperwork sent out by the Clerk's office. Would she give me a second copy? I'd paused to make sure that question had registered w/ her. She bustled off before I could say more. She went to talk w/ the other new aide and I overheard, "We can copy them when they bring them in." Fortunately she didn't come back to me w/ that suggestion but instead went on in to talk w/ the County Clerk herself. County Clerk Connie came out to say hi and that she was printing out a second copy of the Republican and Democrat tally sheets for me. Figured Connie would understand my next request: "Could I have tally sheets also for the Green, Constitutional, and Libertarian parties?" They are also on the ballot though they have no one running for office so any vote would have to be a write-in. Connie looked at her aides. They told her, as far as tally sheets, they had only included one copy for the Republican and Democrat parties in each town's packet. Connie printed out an additional six copies of blank tally sheets for me to use when reporting each of the other parties and told the aides they would have to get in their cars and hand-deliver the extra tally sheets to each town. I quickly asked for some 'I Voted' stickers and retreated from the office. From the parking lot I texted our Town Clerk to let her know she might get something from Connie about tally sheets but that our town had all we needed. Thinking about it, I was surprised no one had brought this up to the County Clerk before me. By Wednesday, most everyone would have conducted a Public Test and should have noticed. Sure, not a lot of people around here vote the Green, Libertarian, or Constitutional ticket but those parties are on the ballot. We are required to submit an official form stating the number of votes they received - even if it's zero. The Town Clerk texted me later and asked if I was the reason the County Clerk had just sent out a blanket e-mail to all clerks about the delivery of extra tally sheets. "Yep" I texted back. She responded w/ an emoji. I'm horrible at interpreting those things but I believe a yellow face w/ a big grin and tears at the edge of both eyes is a good thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment