Thursday, July 30, 2026

Yggdrasil VI

 Picked up Neighbor Anita and we drove to Winter Greenhouse.  Unlike when we went in May, we were the only customers this early in the morning.  We'd both earned 'bonus bucks' from the purchases we had made in the spring which can only be used in the month of July.  Anita wasn't looking for anything but was certain she would find something.  I was on a mission to purchase this year's Yggdrasil (i.e. Christmas tree).  I walked over to the outside tree area while she went into the greenhouses.   The last two years the greenhouse had few trees that would meet my Yggdrasil requirements.  This year, there were plenty.   The first grouping I came to were firs w/ soft deep green needles.  Not exactly the classical Christmas tree pyramid shape but I'm not fussy.  I am fussy though on the Zone.  Because of climate warming, my area  been upped to Zone 4.   I think the weather still vacillates between the two zones.   Yggdrasil will not only be my Christmas Tree but will then be planted  outside as part of a wind break.  I passed by the pretty firs - not Zone 3.   There were other nice sized and shaped trees of various species but I stopped at my usual White Spruce grouping.  Multiple specimens looked good. Next to them were Blue Spruce.  Beautifult but I'd just listened to a garden talk show where the arborist was counting off the number of diseases and bugs Blue Spruce specifically were susceptible.  A burly young man carried out my White Spruce choice and laid it down in the car's cargo area.  I took the ticket to the counter where Anita was just finishing up her purchases.  Her chosen perennials were not only on sale but partially paid for w/ her bonus bucks.  My bonus bucks took a chunk of change off the price of my tree also.   No crowds, big selection, low sale price.   Life is good!

No comments: