Sunday, July 26, 2026

Brent in the kitchen

 

After church this morning I drove over to Ace Hardware to pick up chainsaw oil and weed trimmer wire.  I found the wire pretty easily but was dazzled by the number of specialized oils.  As I've said, my local Ace is a wonderful place to shop 'cause stand too long in a spot and someone will stop to offer help.  Two men in Ace vests came over and I asked where I could find chainsaw chain and bar oil.   They pointed at the bottom shelf  to my left.  Lots of multi-colored and varied containers there.  I asked if they could actually touch the one I needed.  One of the men smiled and picked up a bottle for me.  Sure enough, it had written in bold letters across the front "Chain and Bar Oil".  Felt foolish but they assured me it happens often.  When I got home, Brother Brent was in the midst of making a triple berry pie.  I sat on one of the counter chairs and watched.  He followed the recipe on his phone to the letter.  Digging into the sugar bag, he extracted a cup of sugar.  It was heaping over the top but the recipe didn't say anything about leveling it off.  He asked Sister-in-Law Evelyn how much a 'smidgen' of salt would be.  The recipe said to mix cornstarch into some of the berry juice.  He measured the cornstarch into a bowl.  Then dropped it all w/ a plop into the berry juice creating a snowstorm of particles which slowly drifted down to rest on the countertop.  Actually, I'm thinking that incident at Ace Hardware wasn't so embarrassing  after all.
It is a delicious pie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Brent the pie looks great! Next he should try The Great Lakes Pie!

Nancy

Rebecca Webb said...

Triple Berry.....yummmm!