Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Blue Rhapsody

Project for the day was packing away the Lomonosov china tea cups.  They used to be in that tiny cabinet over the refrigerator.  The current refrigerator though is deeper than any of those before and my reach from the stepstool doesn't reach the back of that cabinet.  I even broke a cup when I retrieved them to display in the library this spring.  When I brought them home I put them in the equally little cabinet over the stove's hood.  I can easily reach it but not an ideal place.  I'd prefer to keep in there other things that are sometimes used instead of fragile cups I don't use.  Ordered some quilted cases specifically for packing away cups/saucers and they arrived yesterday.  This morning I retrieved the items from the small cabinet while Brother Brent was making breakfast.  (Yet another reason that cabinet isn't a great place to keep them.)  I matched up cup w/ it's saucer and took a picture.  All of the cups are white w/ a different cobalt blue and gold design.  Before I packed them away I wanted a picture for insurance purposes and so I could figure out the name of each design.  That all went well until I was trying to put names to the pics.  Turns out different sources had different names for the the same design.  I went to the Lomonosov site which, you would think, has the definitive name but even there some names didn't make sense.  Interesting but not a problem - maybe something is lost in the translation from Russian.

No comments: