A storm was coming in around 10 p.m. last night. Instead of going to bed, Whip and I went out to 'experience' it coming in. It was out of the north. I sat on the SE deck side and let my eyes adjust to the dark. Lightning jumping from cloud to cloud flashed enough light to give a quick glimpse of the meadow before everything went black again. The front of the storm arrived w/ a sudden wind. It toppled some flower pots and blew away the smoke in the air. It instantly dropped the humidity and heat of the day. We sat enjoying the excitement of it all until the rain put a damper on things and we went inside. Even better than TV.
I went downtown for breakfast. No food in the house. plus there was mail to pick up and I could return to the library the three audio books I read on the trip. I hadn't realized today was a benefit UTV ride. Downtown was busy and full of UTV's. No problem getting a table at the cafe but the one waitress was a bit overwhelmed w/ so many people coming in. Her backup arrived just after she took my order. Same thing when I strolled down the block afterward to get a latte at the coffee shop. I walked in behind a group of six but they spread out once they got in the store to look at all of the other things the shop offers. I stayed focused on making it to the counter and ordering. The barista whispered that there were two coffee orders ahead of mine and I nodded that I understood there would be a wait. Owner Bob even went behind the counter to help out where he could. I pulled out my phone, played WWF, and she actually brought my latte out to me personally. (Pays to be a regular!)
Hadn't fixed the bird feeders since the coon or bear had ravaged them early in the week. Went out to right them and refill. The shepherds hook that was on the ground hadn't been pulled out. It's base was still stuck in the ground - the metal pole had been bent. If there was any remaining question in my mind about coon or bear, the large teeth marks in the plastic seed tube put an end to that. As a clincher, I mowed the lawn and near-in trails this afternoon and found bear scat. Not so sure this is a 'small' bear either.
No comments:
Post a Comment