Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Autumn Color

 

A killing freeze is forecast for tonight.  The diff between 'First Frost' and 'Killing Freeze' is the frost is usually a dip to 32 degrees just before sunrise.  Most native plants can shrug it off and stay alive.  For a killing freeze the temps dip to 28 degrees and stay below freezing for hours.  That will stop growth/kill off plants.   The plants I am overwintering are already inside.   I'm using Killing Freeze as a forewarning that winter will soon arrive so Whip and I walked around the outside of the house to see what else needed to be done.  My hand painted gnome that sits in among the flowers on the deck had been looking forlorn without his plant cover.  I moved him along w/ the sundial, the 'Dancing Rabbit' plaque, the Mjolnir plaque, and the two garden poles into Sleipnir.  The solar lights around the outside of the deck stay put - I'll replace the ones that don't make it through the winter next spring.  Yggdrasil could stay outside for awhile longer but I moved it into Mjolnir for a few days.  If the temps go up a bit, I'll move him back outside.   My checklist for this month includes replacing the batteries in the thermostats in the out buildings.  I replaced those batteries and then turned the heat on in both buildings.  It won't actually start up until their inside temp falls to 45 degrees.    Also on my checklist is to move the shepherd hooks together on the southeast side of the deck where I can hang bird feeders this winter.  This year I think I'll remove the hooks next to the deck but leave some hooks further away from the deck.  Don't want to entice back those rats.

No comments: