Thursday, September 26, 2024

Refracting Telescope

 

I have a telescope that my father owned when he was a boy.   While it works, there are now better optics in a modern pair of binoculars.  I like the looks of the telescope so had it sitting on top of the aquarium.  When the aquarium was replaced by the room divider I thought I'd have to relegate the little telescope to the back closet shelves.  The brothers made one cube in the room divider taller than any of the others.  I didn't have anything specific planned for that space - possibly a plant.   An issue w/ a plant would be  to take pains no water spilled or soaked through onto the wood.  The telescope was still sitting on my computer desk.  I was curious if it would fit in that space.  It not only fit but doesn't impede light or air movement and when I'm seated at my desk it allows me to look past it out into the meadow.   The telescope gets to stay.

 When I was studying astronomy in college I came home and was pointing out constellations to my father one night.  The darker skies here shimmered w/ a lot more stars then I could see from the observatory at school.  I told Dad I was surprised I couldn't find Cassiopeia.  Dad asked what it looked like and I said "a lazy W".  Without a moment's hesitation he said, "Oh, that one is over there."  Sure enough, he knew precisely where to find it.  That memory comes to me whenever I get a bit full of myself.

No comments: