Friday, September 13, 2024

Pileated Woodpecker coming in for grapes

I finished washing the last of summer stuff.  It's all ready to be put away and the autumn stuff come out.

Dragonflies must have hatched recently.  They were patrolling all around the house but never alit long enough for me to get a good picture.  Think they might be Subartic Darners because of their size, my location, and they tend to hatch in August/September.  Not many mosquitos for them to munch on but hopefully they are getting their fill of flies.

My fly experiment in Mjolnir is progressing.  I no longer go for an accurate count of flies - just count the number of flies stuck on the window strips until I reach 175.  If there are still more yet to count, I round up to 200, remove those strips, apply four fresh fly strips to the window, and make a note of the date on the white board in the workshop.  As of today I've removed a thousand flies from the apartment area.  I'm calling this a successful experiment so far in that it's given me clues on what's going on and I know now how to keep the apartment from giving off cursed vibes every fall.

Speaking of post-apocalyptic feels, seven turkey vultures were circling over my house in the afternoon.  Assume they were riding a thermal updraft and maybe flocking together in prep for their migration south.  A little eerie - of course, it is Friday the 13.




No comments: