Thursday, September 19, 2024

First touches of color

Someone must be spreading manure or fertilizer.  Overnight, w/o the sun's energy to get things going, the winds die down so the odor lingers over the countryside.  After two days of waking up to an odiferous morning, I went out, cut lilac blossoms, arranged them in a small mason jar, and closed the windows.  House smells wonderful now.  Feels a bit strange, though to be picking lilacs in September.

Tonight I went in for my stint at the library.  I start a 1/2 hour early so I can pick up a paper at the gas station, coffee at the coffee shop, and my mail at the post office before reporting for duty.  I knew school was back in session but I forgot what that means.  There was a long line of teens in front of me at the gas station buying candy bars and generally mingling.  At the coffee shop there was a line of pre-teens waiting for their chance to decide which kind of ice cream they wanted.  I did make it to the library on-time but will have to either start for library duty earlier or cut out one of my stops.  Fairly quiet tonight.   A young boy came in to return a book.  He said he didn't have his card w/ him but I told him he didn't need it when returning books.  He took off and I checked his book in.  78 days overdue - good thing we don't charge late fees anymore.  A lady wanted a receipt to show she had returned a book.  Easy enough to do on our system - just not a common request.  A man came in to use a computer.  He was doing research for a small claims court case.  I found some state statutes which he thought would be helpful for his case.  Always something a little different at the library.

No comments: