Monday, May 06, 2024

Wrong feeder

Busy outside in Sleipnir repotting some geraniums when I heard a familiar hum behind me.  Hummingbirds are back!  They usually make their first appearance around Mother's Day and I had on my calendar to put out some feeders for them on Tuesday.  Guess I need to do it now.  I walked out of the building, headed for the house, and whistled for the dog.  Whip had chosen that moment to go tearing down the driveway to chase a deer.  The deer, unfortunately, was on my neighbor's place - on the other side of the highway.  Yikes!  Yelled for her to stop.  No effect.  Figured she would stop at the Tag Alder as she does twice a day on our constitutionals.  Nope.  The deer was out of sight already which usually causes her to stop giving chase.  Not this time.  I grabbed my car keys, jumped in the car, and went after her.  Found her sniffing around at the side of the highway just checking things out.   I put a leash on her and she jumped into the front seat of the car.  She will have to wear the shock collar for awhile until I can trust her again.   I swear if my animals don't kill themselves, I'll do it.  (Just kidding.  I'm no Kristi Noem.)  After that excitement I still remembered to make hummingbird juice, rinsed out two feeders, and hung them out on either side of the deck.  Wouldn't you know it - no hummers but an oriole flew in.  Now I have to find the oriole feeder and get that filled.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Too much excitement. So glad the dog was okay. Nice to hear that you are seeing hummers, orioles, bluebirds, and others. Spring has arrived.