Sunday, May 05, 2024

Waiting for me to serve breakfast

Part of the night-time routine is to start up the Roomba, set the TV to the morning news station before turning it off, lock the doors, and check that all pets are accounted for.    Last night I realized I hadn't seen Blitz in awhile.  I haven't discovered all of her hidey-holes.  Have, however, taught the cats to come to their names so l can always get her to come to me.  When I called though only Dunder showed up.  (The cats quickly figured out there are treats for either name.)   A cursory check of each room and the garage only proved I hadn't locked her in somewhere.  It was dark but I put on the light and went out the front door calling her name.  Nothing.  Did the same at the back door.  As I got ready for bed I thought about when she could have gotten outside. I and the dog had been to both out buildings a few times.   Maybe she slipped outside then?  I walked barefoot to Sleipnir and then Mjolnir.  Nope, not there.   It was getting cold and would  continue to drop into the high 30's overnight.  Blitz likes her creature comforts.  I prayed the Lord would keep her safe and warm.  I got into bed.  Instead of sleep coming, it was the Roomba that rolled into the bedroom only to promptly get caught up on a rug.  Resignedly got out of bed, picked up the machine, and walked it back out to the living room.  There were some white patches near the bottom of the glass back door.  (Didn't have my glasses on.)  I walked over to see it clearer.  Blitzen was on the deck looking in. She ran off, though, when I opened the door.  Whip was next to me so I left the door open and shushed the dog back into the bedroom.  Turned around in time to see Blitzen running into the house - and Dunder running outside - but then running back in.  Cold for him too.   Blitzen had slipped into the utility room so I let her be and thanked the Lord for her safe return.  Everyone now accounted for, I went back to bed.  Slept til morning.

No comments: