Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Bobolink males - breeding and molting

 

Sister-in-law Sheila had finished the book she brought.  A friend had suggested reading 'The Huntress' by Kate Quinn so Sheila asked if it was at the library where I volunteer.  A quick computer search showed we didn't have it but lots of other libraries in the system did.  The County Seat library had a copy but it was loaned out - due back last Saturday.  I put in a request for the book to be sent to me but also bopped over to the County Seat to see if it had been returned.  It hadn't but they had another book called 'The Rose Code' by the same author, same time period (WWII) and in the same genre.  I checked that one out in case Sheila might be interested.   As I sat at my computer that night it hit me: I should see if there was a book in my personal library she might be interested in!  I turned around to look at the books on the shelves behind me.  On the top shelf are my beloved annotated books: Dracula, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Complete Works of Shakespeare, all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, etc.   Not necessarily to everyone's taste but each a classic.  The second shelf are language books - Swedish, Japanese, German, and Spanish.  Not casual reading material unless one wants to learn another language or translate something.  The next shelf is mostly non-fiction: e.g. The Structure and Evolution of Normal Galaxies, Cat Facts, The Science of High Explosives.  There are two books about WWII: Seven Pillars of Wisdom and HMS Ulysses.  The bottom shelf is split between paperbacks from the original Star Trek TV program and reference books on trees, flowers, birds, and rocks.  A nephew-in-law once told me you can tell a lot about a person from the books they keep.  I'm sure this collection of books says something profound.  Also pretty sure I don't want to know what it is.

No comments: