Sunday, April 28, 2024

Bluebird

I knew we were in for a rainy weather that would start in the afternoon.  This morning did some outside activities.  Tarped Ragnarok.  There is gravel and rock around the fire pit but that doesn't mean plants don't still try to come up near it.  Can make for a fire hazard.  Usually throwing a tarp over the area as soon as I see things greening up is enough to retard growth.  By the time I'm ready to have some fires out there it's easy to remove the tarp and pull up anything that is making an effort to grow.   I then dealt w/ my experiment.  I'm pretty aware of what happens to a mammal's body as it breaks down after death but not a bird's.  Rarely when a bird hits the windows do they break their necks but it does happen.  During the winter Whip had found one and deposited it on the gravel by the front door.  I left the little carcass right where she dropped it.  At first I figured it would be taken by some scavenger.  Nothing wanted it.  I wondered during warm spells if it would bloat or smell.  Nope.  Not a lot that I could find on the Internet about how an avian body decomposes but I did read articles on bird bones and internal organs.  When summer guests arrive they probably won't be as interested in my mini 'body farm' as I am.  Grabbed a shovel and gave the carcass a fling into the tall grass.   Instead of walking out to the woods and possibly getting caught by the incoming storm, Whip and I jumped in Jormungandr to see if there were flowers in the woods.  Found hepatica and spring beauty but the flowers were closed because it was overcast.  Ephemerals want it a little warmer and sunnier before they come out in their full glory.  Don't we all?
 

No comments: