Thursday, April 11, 2024

Barn Quilt

Had to plan the day carefully.  Attended my cousin Steve's funeral.  The church was three hours away but it was a road that I drove quite a bit when I lived in the Big City.  I was on my way by 7 a.m.  Once at the church I wasn't sure of funeral protocol.  Cousin Ginger informed me this was 'visitation' time.  I was to join a line, express sympathies to the family, file past the coffin, and return to the lobby where I would 'visit' w/ others. Fortunately Ginger knows me.  She assured me that none of that was required and in about 10 minutes people would begin finding seats for the service.  The service was nice.   I liked the pastor's message and found it rather comforting to sit in a row w/ cousins.  Right after the service it was time to drive back.  Made library duty w/ a half hour to spare.  A man walked in right after me to return the DVD "Road House".  He said he really loved the movie and did we have any other's to suggest.  The librarian and the volunteer I was relieving started suggesting other Patrick Swayze movies.  Swayze is easy on the eyes but I suspected that wasn't the movie's attraction for this older weathered gentleman.  Picked out the beginning of the Yellowstone TV series, one of the Mission Impossible movies, and "The Rock".  He'd seen the first two but checked out the latter.  A few hours later I shut down the library five minutes early in order to make it to the Town Board Meeting.  The proposed Road Protection Ordinance was on the agenda.  The Planning Commission chairman had given them copies of it before the meeting.  The members of the Board all smiled broadly, pronounced it  'vindictive', and said it was exactly what they were looking for.  Not sure what that all meant but I hadn't eaten all day and was a little high on coffee.  It can wait til the next Planning Commission meeting.

No comments: