Friday, March 08, 2024

Jigsaw Puzzle

The Words with Friends (WWF) game includes a cutsy progress map to give you 'atta boys' for playing the game.  The progress map has levels marked by different books.  (You know - words ... books - they kinda go together.)   I finally reached the  'Ancient Epics' level and it's first book is Gilgamesh.  Like most people I've read bits and pieces of this Sumerian story but never all of the book so figured this would be a good impetus to do so.  The library system had the translated novel on audio CD's so I checked it out.  Last night during the final hour of my library duty I put it on the disk player at the front desk.  Thought I would listen to it while I finished up the work the librarian had left for me.  Fortunately there was no one else in the library.  You see, while we all know about the voyages of Sinbad the Sailor and Ali Baba & the 40 Thieves, there is a reason most people don't read the entire 1001 Arabian Nights novel where those stories are from.  Turns out the same is true of Gilgamesh.  I looked up more than once while I listened to the book to ensure that I was alone in the library.  

No comments: