Monday, February 19, 2024

Morning after the Snow Storm

As soon as the dog and I started on the nightly constitutional a coyote started a long howl.  As we walked on that howl was answered w/ another howl and shorter yips.  Sounded like they were just below us on the hill but it's hard to tell around here just how far away sounds are.  The coyotes kept it up as Whip and I continued on.  The coyotes were probably congregating for a hunt or maybe they'd noticed Whip and I and were giving an alarm.  While I don't particularily like coyotes (I prefer fox) there is no need to be afraid of them - even in a pack.  I do have a concern for my dog.  Coyotes might kill a smaller dog outright but a lone coyote will lure away a larger dog to a place where the whole pack can attack it.  No need to worry about Whip tonight.   The news showed small dogs decked out in a coat of spikes to deter coyotes.  Similar to that, Whip'a coat of running lights would frighten off any wild animal.   One more benefit of dressing her in the coat for our after-dark walks.

No comments: