Thursday, January 04, 2024

Wet Winter Weather

I sat at the table eating breakfast and watching the birds come into the feeder.  Not much on the schedule for today.  Neighbor Anita called.  She had been working diligently on finding someone to run for the county board from our area and Sue, co-owner of the ski hill, agreed to run.   I knew anyone who wants to be on the ballot in April had to submit paperwork by January 2 so figured Sue would be a write-in.  Anita explained that the deadline was extended to Friday since no one was running from our town.  All Sue needed was enough signatures on nomination papers before then and she could be on the ballot.  Anita asked if I wanted to drive along w/ her this morning while she stopped at people's homes and asked if they would sign the petition.   Of course I would - it meant a morning of snooping in other people's yards!  I drove while Anita had her clip board and  a list of people she thought would be home during the day.  We started out on Sunny Hill road.  That netted us 10 people.  "How many signatures are required?" I asked.  "Twenty", Anita replied, "But some other people are getting signatures too.  We want more than enough in case any are questioned."  Twenty seemed really doable.  From Sunny Hill onto the county road, then turned off on Christianson Road until we hit Dearhamer Road again - basically 'went around the block' as my dad used to say.  By the time we got back to Anita's she had 20 signatures and there were more people who said they would stop in at Anita's after work to sign.   While Anita was busy gathering signatures I listened to my audio book in the car.  I noticed that every place we stopped had bird feeders.   I sometimes wonder how the tweeters who stick around all winter get enough to eat - turns out my neighborhhood is one long buffet.

No comments: